Sunday, February 12, 2017

Week 3 - Character & Buildings

This week I spent time working on incorporating my character into the game (with some issues persisting through the week) and continued setting up buildings within the game.

Character - Since I'm not a character animator I've decided to get my character animations from Mixamo. I gathered a small set of character animations for the game for now. I set up an animation state machine to control the animations and a blend space to transition between idle, walking, and running. The issue arose when I tried to substitute my character/skeleton/animations for the defaults. After some research and digging into the plug-in's code, I found out that the default skeleton is built fairly deep into the plug-in's system, and it will take some serious work to fully swap the two. I've decided to put this off for now as there are a few ways to approach it depending on how much time I have available.
Character mid animation 
Buildings - After the character issues, I decided to switch gears and start working on the buildings some more. I started by importing my first building into Unreal and adding it to my building blueprint. I also set up a UI widget which will display all of the actions that a building can perform. The only thing holding that up is that I'm not sure how to call a custom event within a UI widget blueprint. After some research, it seems like an event dispatcher may be useful here but I'm going to leave some of that work for next week.
UI toggle logic


Building with real mesh. Light indicates the building is "on" in the game. This will be swapped out for active animations and an idle state.

No comments:

Post a Comment